With the final week of cooking with the new McCain Spring campaign I really wanted to try something completely different. Something that I have never ever made. You won’t believe how hard I prayed that this Mashed Potato Recipe would not fail. I mean, I have never ever attempted baking any type of bread from scratch before. I did some research and found the easiest mashed potato bread recipe. I think this would be such a great hit at any party or braai as a side- especially if you tell your guests how you made it.
I changed this recipe slightly and that also caused some anxiety but it turned out beautifully.
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup milk warmed
- 1 package instant yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (I used brown sugar- because that is what we use at home)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes ( I used half a pack of McCain diced potatoes. I also made my mash with butter, milk and salt)
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 4 cups of self raising flour
- Pour the warm water and milk into a bowl2.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the liquids. 3.
- Add the sugar, egg, salt, potatoes, butter and flour.
- Mix the ingredients just until combined.
- The dough should be slightly sticky.
- Use Cook n Bake Spray and spray a large bowl with cooking spray. 7.
- Place the dough into the greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel.
- Set the bowl in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size (about 30 minutes).
- Divide the dough in two and shape into two loaves.
- Place the dough into two greased – I used Cook and Bake Spray again into small loaf pans.
- Cover the pans and put them in a warm place, allowing the dough to rise again until almost double (about 25 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Bake the bread (uncovered) for 30-35 minutes or until the tops are dry and firm, with a golden brown color.
- Remove the bread from the pans and allow them to cool on a cooling rack.
- Spread melted butter on the top of the loaf.
- Let it cool down and serve with your favorite jam spread, cheese – basically any topping you can think of.