Our lives have changed drastically in 2020. Although many people felt that 2020 should just end, we find ourselves in pretty much the same position in 2021. We are living in the fast lane, while trying to juggle it all. Being a full time University Lecturer, PhD Candidate, Digital Creator, Mom to two boys and wife; my time is very limited. It is also Summer and if you live in the Boland, you know that this heat is like nothing you have ever experienced before. When I set up our weekly meal planner; I am looking for recipes that are nutritional, affordable, convenient and will save me a lot of time. Is there even anything out there that ticks all the above boxes as well as aligns with today’s dietary and lifestyle trends. Well the answer is YES in capital letters. We can always count on our friends in our freezer, McCain and Sea Harvest to make life easier. If you read my post last week, you would have seen this quote:
Sea Harvest and McCain are the friends in your freezer, bringing you the fun and creativity back into your kitchen. You get all the health benefits and delicious taste, without the hassle. McCain and Sea Harvest, both leaders in the frozen foods category, are here to dispel some of the common misconceptions and highlight all the benefits when it comes to frozen foods.
McCain as well as Sea Harvest products are two of our favorite brands, and there is a reason why they are both leaders in the frozen foods categories. Tap here to read more about these two trusted food brands.
Reasons why McCain and Sea Harvest are my best friends in my freezer
I am going to share a recipe with you in this blog post. In the past it has taken me at least 2hours and 30 minutes to make. With McCain and Sea Harvest, it only takes me 45 minutes to make.In the past I had to wash, peel and cut the veggies and then boil them. Sometimes I would also have vegetables that look fresh on the outside, but once cut through I would have to throw it away. This meant I was basically throwing away money every time this happened. The convenience of McCain and Sea Harvest is that I also trust their quality and nutritious value for my family. There are days that I just do not feel like cooking, and my world just lights up when I find some frozen McCain chips and either a box of Sea Harvest Crisp and Chunky – Classic or a box of Fish Friday. We use and air fryer, which means that Hudson and Levi can get involved in cooking dinner. It is amazing that they are both eating so much better because I include them in the cooking process.
All in 1 Fish Pie Recipe
This recipe feeds 4-6 people. If you have leftovers, you can even use the mixture to make savoury muffins, by adding two teaspoons of baking powder. Muffins can then be used as a lunchbox treat.
750g McCain Sweet Potato OR McCain diced potato (I used McCain Sweet Potato
250g McCain Diced Carrots
250g McCain Garden Peas
250g McCain Garden Spinach
1 cup of grated Cheddar Cheese of your choice
1 diced onion
500ml Full cream Milk
500g Sea Harvest Haddock Steaks
450g Sea Harvest Hake Medallions
2 Heaped Tablespoons of self raising flour
Salt and Pepper for taste
- Pe-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Steam your potatoes/sweet potatoes by following the instructions on the packaging.
- Mash the potatoes and add the frozen peas to the mixture and set aside.
- In a pot add diced onion and frozen diced carrots with a tablespoon of olive oil. Stir occasionally on medium heat for about 8 minutes.
- In a pot heat the milk on a medium heat. When the milk is simmering, you can unwrap and add all the Sea Harvest frozen fillets. Cook for around 8 minutes, or until cooked through, then use a slotted spoon to transfer the Sea Harvest fillets to a plate. Make sure you take the pot off the heat.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of self raising flour into the carrots and onions. As you would normally make a white sauce slowly add the warm milk, stirring continuously. Stir in the frozen spinach until thawed. Stir in the grated cheese.
- Flake the cooked fish fillets in a plate. This way you can discard any bones that you may find.
- Top with the Pea and Sweet Potato/ mash and smooth out. Bake for 20 minutes and then grill for 5 minutes , or until beautifully golden. Serve with a side salad.
YOU CAN WIN!
Reimagine mealtimes with #FriendsInYourFreezer and stand a chance to WIN 1 of 10 PlayStation 5 consoles. T&C’s apply. For more information, visit www.friendsinyourfreezer.co.za, McCain Facebook, McCain Instagram, Sea Harvest Facebook or Sea Harvest Instagram.