The following recipe is from Jamie Oliver’s Cook Book 7 Ways. I have adapted it slightly.
100 g stale sourdough bread (this is to crumble on top, but I am not going to use anything on top- I suppose breadcrumbs could also work.
2 gloves of garlic (I will use 3 – because we love garlic
Half a head of cauliflower (I will use the whole one (its small)
400ml skimmed milk ( I will be using full cream milk)
300g spaghetti (I will use 400g because the boys love spaghetti)
70g Cheddar cheese (Obviously I will be using more because well Cheese)
- If you are using the sour dough bread- tear it up and put it into a food processor. Peel the garlic, add half a tablespoon of olive oil- blitz- put on a frying pan on medium heat- cook until golden brown (see bread crumbs would be easier)
- Peel the onion and chop roughly with the cauliflower- stalk and all.
- Set aside the bread crumb- add the milk in the same pan plus the chopped veg- bring to the boil- reduce the heat to low and cover and simmer.
- Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water.
- Just before the pasta is ready pour the cauliflower mixture in a blender (hand stick blender works well)
- Grate in the cheese and blitz until smooth- return to the pan
- Toss the pasta through the sauce loosening up with some cooking water- serve with the bread crumbs on top (ok maybe I will use some bread crumbs- just for that crunch)
This is my end result.